Design of Smoke and Heat Exhaust Ventilation Systems
CFD simulations are a useful tool for designing and testing all kinds of Smoke and Heat Exhaust Ventilation Systems, for example for car parks, tunnels, common escape routes such as stairs and corridors, shopping malls, atria, etc. Using CFD there are less restrictions compared to when a system is designed according to standards such as ADB, BS 7346, NEN-EN 12101 or other. A CFD simulation helps to show that your design performs as it should and is often required by approving bodies.
Equivalence to applicable regulations or design standards
A CFD simulation can demonstrate that the fire safety level of a design is equivalent to or better than a design according to standard (design) regulations. A building or (ventilation) system must comply with strict rules with regard to fire safety. However, these rules are not always practical to apply. The effect of deviations from these rules on the fire safety level can be investigated by means of CFD simulations. This investigation can be executed using performance based requirements or by means of a comparison between the proposed design against a design in accordance with standard design rules.
Amongst others the following benefits can be achieved:
- Mechanical instead of natural ventilation for smoke control on escape routes
- Extend travel distances
- Design car parks with less or no mechanical ventilation shafts, but as a hybrid system (thrust fans only)
- Savings on fire rating of the construction
- Savings on fire safety systems, such as ventilation systems or sprinklers
- Demonstrate tenability on escape routes
Fire Safety Engineering (FSE)
With FSE we take into account all aspects that can occur during a fire scenario, such as:
- Compare available and required flight time (ASET vs RSET)
- Thermal load on the structures
- Fire spread
- The influence of sprinklers on the fire, but also on the protection of the structure
We are specialized in CFD simulations to support FSE and can provide full support when looking for solutions. We are experienced with thinking in scenario's and well capable of making and substantiating the various assumptions that are applied in FSE solutions.